Fire Protection Program
The faculty members of the Fire Protection Technology Department are dedicated to providing quality instruction which will prepare high quality students' for successful careers in fire service and prepare students to be valuable members for their profession.
About the Program
The Hill College Fire Protection Technology Program offers comprehensive training in this rewarding field of service. Our program prepares you for the firefighter’s job with not only classroom experience but also hands-on skills and physical training. Our program meets or exceeds all of the requirements established by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Basic Structure Fire Suppression curriculum and encompasses all aspects of knowledge needed to be successful in fire protection, preparing you to take all state certification exams.
Fire Protection Technology classes are offered in day, night and hybrid blocks for the your learning convenience. The Hill College Fire Academy is licensed by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.
Fire Protection Technology Instructor
Next Available Academy
Fall Semester- Day
August - December
Monday thru Friday, 8:30am - 5:30pm
Hybrid- Available in Cleburne and Hillsboro
August - December
Saturday, 8:30am - 5:30pm
- Students must have either a high school diploma or Certificate of High School Equivalency.
- Students must be eligible to be a fire fighter in Texas.
- Students must have a medical release from your physician prior to the first day of class.
- Students must have completed a drug screen.
- Students must have all required equipment and uniform items prior to the first day of class.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to perform physical fitness exercises
- Preference will be given to students sponsored by a paid fire department
- Explain the history and basic principles of the fire service.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of fire development, cause, and prevention
- Apply theoretical knowledge of hydraulic principles to solving water supply problems for fire protection
- Demonstrate understanding of fire strategy, tactics, detection and suppression systems.
- Demonstrate effective communication, both orally and in writing, with supervisors, peers and the public.
- Demonstrate knowledge of building construction principles, fire protection systems, and fire prevention codes to prepare pre-fire plans for a building.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of fire investigation principles as well as the important role that fire investigation and fire prevention programs play in reducing fire risks.
- Identify hazardous materials and hazardous properties.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Working knowledge of incident management systems.