Carl D. Perkins Grant Funding

APPLY ---- Perkins Reimbursement Application    

To Qualify for the Carl D. Perkins Grant Funds or services, you MUST:

  • Be enrolled in a Technical Certificate or Degree program
  • Be enrolled in at least 6 hours of which 3 hours must be on campus/face-to-face,
  • Maintain a 2.0 minimum cumulative and semester GPA,
  • Be eligible for Pell grant,
  • Meet income requirements,
  • Fall under one of the following special population categories:

Single Parent or Single, Pregnant Woman add
A student who is single (never married), divorced, widowed, or legally separated AND who provides more than 50% of the financial support for their child/children.
Displaced Homemaker/Worker add
A displaced homemaker is defined as:
  • has worked primarily without remuneration to care for a home and family, and for that reason has diminished marketable skills;
  • has been dependent on the income of another family member but is no longer supported by that income; or
  • is a parent whose youngest dependent child will become ineligible to receive assistance under part A of title IV of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 601 et seq.) not later than two years after the date on which the parent applies for assistance under this title; and
  • is unemployed or underemployed and is experiencing difficulty in obtaining or upgrading employment.
Physical Disability add
  • physical disability is a limitation on a person's physical functioning, mobility, dexterity or stamina.
  • Documentation is required.
Learning Disability add
  • Learning disabilities are neurologically-based processing problems. These processing problems can interfere with learning basic skills such as reading, writing and/or math. They can also interfere with higher level skills such as organization, time planning, abstract reasoning, long or short term memory and attention.
  • Documentation is required.
Economically Disadvantaged (including Foster Children) add
An economically disadvantaged student is defined as one who is eligible for free or reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch and Child Nutrition Program.
Limited English Proficiency add
Individuals who do not speak English as their primary language and who have a limited ability to read, speak, write, or understand English can be limited English proficient, or "LEP." 
Non-Traditional Technical Major add
  • The Carl D. Perkins Act of 2006 defines nontraditional fields "as occupations or fields of work, including careers in computer science, technology and other current and emerging high skill occupations, for which individuals from one gender comprise less than 25 percent of the individuals employed in each such occupation or field of work." For females, nontraditional fields include the Trades and STEM-related careers. For males, these include nursing, early childhood education and K-3 teaching careers. 
  • Student participation in Career and Technical Education programs in nontraditional fields.

Perkins Reimbursement Program

As a qualifying technical student, you may qualify for one of the following reimbursement options:

  • Book/supply reimbursement 
  • Transportation reimbursement
  • Child Care reimbursement

Important Information

A cap for the number of students to be accepted for each campus for each semester will be established in August and re-evaluated in January of each grant cycle.  The cap will be subject to change based on remaining funds for each semester.

In accordance with the established cap for each grant cycle and the application deadline, applications will be certified based on need, as reflected by points. Should there be a tie in qualifications at the maximum number of accepted applicants, students will be certified based on the date of application.

Academic Advising and Success Center

If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact the Academic Advising and Success Center nearest you:

Hill County Campus: 254.659.7650
Johnson County Campus: 817.760.5650
Burleson Center: 817.295.7392

Free Tutoring

All students enrolled in technical programs can receive FREE tutoring in person in most subject areas. If you need assistance in any of your classes, complete the Tutor Request Application.

Tutoring is also available to all students 24/7 with Smarthinking online tutorial service. With Smarthinking you can:

• Connect with an e-instructor and interact with a live tutor

• Submit your writing assignments for any class to their Online Writing Lab

• Submit a question and receive a reply from a tutor

To access Smarthinking, log onto one of your Schoology courses, click on the Smarthinking link in the class and follow the instructions at Smarthinking. Make sure you do not have a popup blocker activated.